This painting was based on a photo I took of Bre that just stole my heart. The technique is one I am coming to enjoy more and more – the same turps washing technique I used in Redhead.
Initially I was concerned about how this was coming along. it looked very flat and lifeless. then I decided to highlight her skirt in blue and make the apron a glowing white. while these all took further planning and extra time I feel the end result was worth it. I am very excited as to the outcome and will possibly do several more paintings using this technique. maybe enough for a series.
I was highly tempted to make her apron out of a sculpted Gesso impasto finish but decided against it as it night have changed the flowing look. I will, however, try the same technique using some impasto at some time soon to see how it works.